Last visit was: It is currently Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Re: Any Hackmaster players in Montreal?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:42 am 
Owner

Welcome on Roludo DMMike1. It's been slow around here since my forums have died out with social media taking most of the bulk of the conversations!

Just saw names in this thread I haven't seen online in quite a while! ;)

This thread might be from 2011 but I still never played Hackmaster. I know D&D 5th is a return to the days of old but I still haven't played either. Got a campaign that's about to begin.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:03 pm 
Servitulo

Thanks for the reply Sicnaxyz! I've been looking around for gamers in Montreal who have experience in HackMaster 4th Edition, but no luck so far. This was the only Montreal-specific forum I found that had a thread on this topic. It looks like a game with amazing potential and I'm kicking myself for not taking it seriously 10 years ago when it had a (relatively) large following. If you do happen to run into anyone who has played HackMaster, please let me know!

Speaking of 5e, I'm DMing a game now for a pretty mixed group of experienced and first time D&Ders and its going great. I don't like everything about it, but it's the first time since the mid 1990s that I feel like the game is moving in the right direction. While all WoC products tend to be a bit overdone, the art really is quite good and enhances the product, in my opinion. The rules try to incorporate an older DIY element which is a huge breath of fresh air after restrictive 3e and 4e rules.

I'm trying to incorporate an 'old school' vibe in the game and I incorporated several house rules to make it function a bit more like 1e, at least in spirit. Perhaps the best one was starting each player with three 0-level characters, an idea I got from Dungeon Crawl Classics. It allows the characters to grow organically rather than the player saying, "I want to play a Half Tiefling-Drow Cavalier/Assassin!" It also teaches both new and old players that this is a deadly world and characters will die, while allowing you as the DM to kill off some low level characters without too much guilt. I highly recommend it!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:41 pm 
Owner

DMMike1 wrote:
Thanks for the reply Sicnaxyz! I've been looking around for gamers in Montreal who have experience in HackMaster 4th Edition, but no luck so far. This was the only Montreal-specific forum I found that had a thread on this topic. It looks like a game with amazing potential and I'm kicking myself for not taking it seriously 10 years ago when it had a (relatively) large following. If you do happen to run into anyone who has played HackMaster, please let me know!

I will but like I said, things are pretty slow around here. Maybe if you're lucky, there could be a game at the upcoming Draconis convention on Montreal in 2017.

DMMike1 wrote:
I'm trying to incorporate an 'old school' vibe in the game and I incorporated several house rules to make it function a bit more like 1e, at least in spirit. Perhaps the best one was starting each player with three 0-level characters, an idea I got from Dungeon Crawl Classics. It allows the characters to grow organically rather than the player saying, "I want to play a Half Tiefling-Drow Cavalier/Assassin!" It also teaches both new and old players that this is a deadly world and characters will die, while allowing you as the DM to kill off some low level characters without too much guilt. I highly recommend it!

Can't wait. I hardly play anymore. It's too bad too since my kids are growing up and I have more free time, I could actually play more but the opportunities are not there anymore.

Offline Profile